Wednesday, June 12, 2019

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY, MILES


Ten years ago, in a village in Ethiopia, a little boy was born and given the name Misikir, which means 'witness'.  It would be four months before we would see his face for the first time and then another four months before he would be placed in our arms.

People are so quick to say how lucky Miles is to be in our family and I know they mean well, but that could not be further from the truth.

Did you know that we ignored God's call to adopt for over a year?  We ended up saying yes to adoption out of a desire to be obedient, not because we wanted more children and not because our hearts were so burden for orphans.  We even checked 'no' on our paperwork when asked if we would be willing to accept a child with special needs.  You see, there is nothing at all special about us.  God didn't choose us to parent Miles because of who we were, He chose to place Misikir in our lives because of the 'witness' it would be. It was always for our good and for His glory.

Miles Misikir, you are a gift I didn't know to ask for but one I am so grateful I received.  Today I celebrate your life and the life one the one who gave you life.  I wish she knew the impact your little life has had on the world in just ten short years.  You are a gift worth celebrating today and everyday!