Friday, April 19, 2019
DO YOU WANT TO BE MADE WELL?
In Jerusalem, near the old sheep gate, you will find the remains of a pool called Bethesda. About 2,000 years ago, this place was crowded with people who were disabled in some way. They laid around the pool, waiting for the waters to be stirred, waiting to be healed.
The Bible tells the story of a thirty-eight year old man who had been by the pool for a very long time. He had probably been there since he was a young boy, possibly dropped off my his parents. Waiting. Wishing. Hoping. I wonder how many years he laid there before discouragement set in? I wonder how many people he saw healed over the years? I wonder if resentment, bitterness, and anger had taken root in his heart?
Jesus SAW the man and asked, "Do you want to be made well?" Such a strange question. I wonder if the man knew what Jesus was asking? I mean, REALLY KNEW.
NERD ALERT: The phrase "to be made well" sounds future tense but in the Greek, the phrase is an aorist middle infinitive verb. (Please don't let my weirdness scare you, I promise it's not contagious.) This type of verb is almost always translated into English in the past tense, indicating something has already been accomplished. (Exciting, right?!?)
So, with that in mind, I think Jesus was asking the man, "Do you want to stay where you are or do you want the healing and wholeness that is yours for the taking? Are you ready and willing to be the person God has already purposed you to be?"
For years, this man had been looking to the water for healing. For years, this man looked to others to be the answer to his problems. But Jesus. He SAW him, He KNEW him, and He said to him, "Get up, take up your bed, and walk."
The Bible says, "AT ONCE the man was healed, took up his bed and walked." No questions. No hesitation. No excuses. He believed, obeyed, and took action.
Today, on this Good Friday, I believe that Jesus is asking each one of us, "Do you want to stay where you are or do you want the healing and wholeness that is yours for the taking? Are you ready and willing to be the person God has already purposed you to be?"
Jesus SEES you. Jesus KNOWS you. And over 2,000 years ago, Jesus died so that you could be made WHOLE. Get up, take up bed (because you are never going back there), and walk.
