Thursday, June 12, 2014

intend(ed)

And just like that, he's five.
Happy Birthday sweet Miles.


In five short years, you have changed my world.

Because of you, I learned to speak the languages of adoption and special needs.
Because of you, I see the world through completely different lenses.
Because of you, I have meet some of the most precious families who serve their children with special needs without abandon.  They love with such a fierce sacrificial love, it is like getting a glimpse of Jesus with skin on.

Because of you, I will never be the same again, and I am forever grateful!


I was hoping that by the time Miles turned five I would understand him better.
Instead, God has been teaching me to understand Him better.

God has been so gracious to give me a glimpse of how He sees disability.

As Jesus went on His way, He saw a man who had been born blind.
His followers asked Him, "Teacher, whose sin made this man to be born blind?
Was it the sin of this man or the sin of his parents?"  Jesus answered,
"The sin of this man or the sin of his parents did not make him to be born blind.
He was born blind so the work of God would be seen in him.
We must keep on doing the work of Him who sent Me while it is day.
Night is coming when no man can work.
While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world."
{John 9:1-5}

A man.
Born blind.

People walked by him every single day for years.
He could not see them and my guess is a lot of them acted like they didn't see him.


But Jesus.
He could not see Jesus, but Jesus saw him.
He saw him!
He saw who he was designed, purposed, planned, and intended to be!

A man.
Born blind.

Born with a disability so the power of God could be [seen, displayed, illustrated] in him. So the glory of God could be displayed through him.

God has a purpose in disability.
He allows it and sometimes even authors it.

“There is no circumstance, no trouble, no testing, that can ever touch me until, first of all, it has gone past God and past Christ, right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose."
-Alan Redpath

I've never doubted that God has a purpose for Miles.
But this year, God has changed my word from purpose to intended.

in-tend
(1) to have in mind for a particular use
(2) to design or mean for a specific purpose
(3) to have a purpose or design
(4) to destine

Miles is exactly how God intended.
God has a particular use in mind for Miles and the gift of Autism allows His glory to shine in a way that Miles without Autism cannot.  It magnifies the glory of God in the most beautiful way.


"I have thanked thee a thousand times for my roses, but not once for my thorn.  I have been looking forward to a world where I shall get compensation for my cross, but I have never thought of my cross as itself a present glory.  Thou divine Love, whose human path has been perfected through sufferings, teach me the glory of my cross and the value of my thorn."
-George Matheson

A man.
Born blind.

He lived in complete darkness all of his life and one day, one encounter with Jesus, light cuts into the darkness.  God used a man who was born blind to show us our need for Jesus.  Our need for the Light of the world.

You and me.
Born blind.

We are all broken and born with a disability called sin (Romans 3:23).
But Jesus sees us.  Really sees us.
And because of the finished work of Jesus on the Cross, we have the opportunity to be be healed.  To have our blind eyes opened by the Light of the world.

No one goes unnoticed by Jesus.  No one!
His love, grace and mercy is available to you and me.

You don't have to have it all together.
You don't have to have all the answers.
Jesus already knows you are broken and wants to make you whole.

Jesus is asking you the same question He asked the blind man…
"Do you believe in the Son of Man?"


"For if you tell others with your own mouth that Jesus Christ is your Lord and believe in your own heart that God has raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is by believing in his heart that a man becomes right with God; and with his mouth tells others of his faith, confirming his salvation."
{Romans 10:9-10}

Jesus, the Light of the world, wants to shine in and through your life.
Sin has made you blind to Jesus, but it has not made Jesus blind to you!

If you, like the blind man, have already declared "Lord, I believe",
What challenges are going on right now in your life?
What has God allowed that He has a particular use in mind?
What has He intended that will magnify the glory of God through your life in the most beautiful way?

Do you trust Him?

The best thing you can do is spend less time trying to understand your situation and more time getting to know the God that designs, purposes, plans, and intends to use your situation to reveal His power and His glory.


"We are confident that God is able to orchestrate everything to work toward something good and beautiful when we love Him accept His invitation to live according to His plan."
{Romans 8:28}

[Share this post on Facebook or Twitter]

No comments :

Post a Comment