Friday, November 22, 2013

CHILDREN: SUPERHEROES IN DISGUISE



There is a superhero inside each one of us.
A hero ready to unleash his/her power.

Take Clark Kent, for instance.
He is a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet.
But his outward appearance has nothing to do with who he really is.
Underneath that starched button-down shirt and dark rimmed glasses is a superhero.

He's faster than a speeding bullet.
He's more powerful than a locomotive.
He's able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
He's Superman!

Would your parenting look any different if you saw your children through the lens of a future world changer or a superhero?  Want to know what the parent of a superhero looks like?  Look in the mirror.  There is greatness in our kids and as we love, train, and walk through life with them, we get to see little glimpses of their superpowers.
"We all have a hero in our heart."
{Dwight Schrute}

When I see Alex stick up for someone who is getting teased, I see a hero.
When I am told that he is respectful to adults, I see a hero.
When I watch him try and play with Miles, I see a hero.

Several weeks ago, I was told that a little boy in Miles' class at church started asking questions about why Miles is different.  Why Miles wears diapers.  The teacher told him that God made Miles special and that's when little Zach Rowe unleashed his superpower.  He asked if he could be Miles' special friend and, when he was told yes, he went over and very sweetly tried to play with Miles.  He is a hero.

Children with special needs have superpowers that don't look super to the untrained eye.  As their parents, we have the joy and privilege of seeing little glimpses of their special superpowers.  When they meet a new goal or accomplish even the smallest task, it's like they just saved the world from impending doom.

For example, when Miles comes home from school, his shirt is usually filthy.
It could be anything from dried yogurt, applesauce, spaghetti sauce or whatever was for lunch and snack that day.  Dribble some milk and juice down the front, then throw in a little marker and paint.  What you are left with looks like a complete mess.

You see, at 4 years old, Miles still struggles to use a spoon.  He forgets to hold it properly and food spills off.  He is also still trying to master drinking from an open cup and often forgets that he can't turn it sideways or upside down.

The me before Miles would have changed his shirt the minute we got home and I definitely would have not taken him to church wearing a dirty, crusty shirt.

But now, I proudly leave his shirt on because I don't see a dirty shirt.
I see learning.
I see hard work.
I see determination.
I see a superhero trying to reveal himself the best way he can.

Another area that is a struggle for Miles is his self-care skills.  He has been working on washing his hands everyday for the last two years.  With the use of picture cards, words, and assistance, it is still a struggle.  And yesterday, Miles followed a one step direction, walked to the sink and turned the water all by himself.  That sink has been his nemesis for the last two years and he kicked its booty!

I was one proud mama.
For the rest of the day, I told everyone I saw "my baby walked straight up to that sink and turned on that water!"  I was beside myself!  So proud!

My little superhero didn't give up.
He didn't run away.
He faced that challenge head on and showed that sink who's boss!

Most of us don't know what it's like to live in a world where using words to get basic needs met is a huge struggle. Or when you can't get your arms and legs to do what you want them to do, what they were designed to do.  These special superheroes live in bodies that have them locked up, making it difficult for others to see them for who they really are.  For who they were created to be.  They have the ability to do amazing things, but they are limited.  They have the same feelings, same emotions, same desires, same need for love and affection that each of us have, they are just trapped.

I was reminded this week that Jesus knows exactly what that feels like.  In week 10 of Beth Moore's A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place, she is teaching that Jesus is the true Tabernacle and had this to say...
"And the Word (Christ) became a human being and lived here on earth among us (John 1:14).  Can you imagine the excruciating transformation of going from having absolutely no limitations to being imprisoned inside about 170 pounds of human flesh?  How many times do you suppose He would have liked to burst out of that tent and to unleash His awesome power?  We have nothing with which to compare the confinement of omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God in flesh... His flesh was a temporary dwelling, a seemingly unfit place for God's Son to dwell...  His exterior did not seem to match His interior."
My eyes immediately filled with tears.
Jesus, God in flesh, knows EXACTLY what it's like to be locked up in a human body.
He understands how your child with special needs feels in a way that we never will.
Simply amazing and completely overwhelming!

God, give me eyes to see my boys, not as they are today, but as the superheroes You have created, designed, and purposed them to be.  Help me to love them, respond to them, train them and even discipline them in a way that gives them an accurate view of Your love and Your character.  Help me to not get in the way of Your work in their lives. I pray that all of my interactions with them will be filled with grace, love, and mercy.

You are enough for me, Jesus!

[Share this post on Facebook or Twitter]

1 comment :

  1. I am speechless. This gives me a new perspective, thank you.

    ReplyDelete