Tuesday, June 12, 2012

MISS YOU ALREADY

Today is a special day.
It is day of celebration for our family.

June 12th is not only the day we celebrate Miles' life on this earth, but as of this morning, June 12th is the day we celebrate the beginning of my Papa's life in Heaven.
I have been blessed with the most amazing grandparents and have been able to enjoy them, learn from them, be loved by for all of my 38 years.

If you didn't know my Papa, in just a matter of minutes you would have known the loves of his life: his Jesus, his wife of 66 years, his family, his church and his Razorbacks.

His mashed potatoes are still my favorite.
His car always had a dent in it somewhere.
He once had a garden that took over his whole backyard.
And if you were a single granddaughter, he felt like it was his job to tease you about it.

He ate at Susan's everyday for lunch.
He always hung up the phone without saying goodbye.
I can't eat popcorn without thinking of him.
And Alex's first 7 years of life, he referred to Papa as 'my grandpa that has the basketball that won't bounce.'

Some of my favorite childhood memories took place at their house.

My grandmother is a beautician and my Papa never complained when we would spend hours hanging out at their house getting our hair highlighted or permed.  He never got aggravated when we would take over the kitchen table to play games or when we would sit in the floor blocking his view of the TV to play checkers with Meme, who happens to be the most AMAZING checker player in the whole wide world... no joke!

Watching my grandparents interact with each other is one of the things I'm going to miss the most.

They never talked to me about a Biblical marriage, but instead they lived it out right in front of us every single day.  I never once heard them argue or speak to each other in anger.  He was the leader of his family and took his role as provider very serious.  And my Meme, well, I've never seen a woman love and respect her husband more that she did.

Some may view my grandmother's submission to her husband as weakness, but I would beg to differ.

It takes a strong woman to serve her man.
It takes a strong woman put someone else's needs/wants above her own.
It takes a strong woman to choose to only speak loving kind words about her husband when he's not around and to choose to keep quiet if the words don't come so easy.

We celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago and after everyone had left and we were cleaning up, I looked over at them and she was sitting on his lap giving him a kiss.  I don't think she realized they weren't alone.  And I love that!
Papa, I miss you already.
I think the toughest thing will be having to watch Meme learn to do life without you.

He told my grandmother a few weeks ago that he was ready to meet Jesus.
He knew without a doubt that he would spend eternity in Heaven when he died.

If you don't know Jesus, I would love to introduce you to Him.
No one will ever love you or satisfy you like He can.
Nothing will ever fill the empty place in your heart like Him.
After all, He made you, He died for you, and He has a purpose for your life.
"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son.  And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.  God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was.  He came to help, to put the world right again.  Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it.  And why?  Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.
 {John 3:16-18, The Message}

No comments :

Post a Comment