Monday, May 28, 2012

TRANSITIONS

Transitions are so hard.
I knew this day would come, but I was really hoping we could put it off a little longer.  We were forced to take down Miles' baby bed and make the transition to a big boy bed.  Actually, a twin mattress on the floor.

Falling asleep for Miles is tough.
Until recently, he would spend about an hour or so at the beginning of every nap/bedtime upside down.  It's weird, I know, but anyone who knows Miles knows the boy likes to be inverted.
February 2011              March 2011              October 2011
At the beginning of the year, Miles realized he was strong enough to pull his body up and fling himself head first out of his crib.

We blame physical therapy :)

I happen to be in the room the first time he did it and I caught him right before he hit the floor.  Very scary!  Miles has no sense of personal safety and no sense of cause/effect.  None!

So, we had to add this to his bed in January...
I hated the crib tent, but at the time, it was the only way to keep him safe.

I received an email a week and a half ago telling me that the crib tent has been responsible for several serious injuries, has been recalled and the company is no longer in business.  I received a full refund and was told to destroy it immediately.

So, I did as I was told and got rid of the crib tent, but doing so forced me to figure out what our options were to help Miles make this transition.  I decided that taking his twin bed apart and just putting the top mattress on the floor was the best and safest option for him. 
Miles' receptive language delay is what makes this transition so tough.  We explain what is going on and what is expected, knowing full well that he has no idea what we are saying.  Which is why we have to constantly parent ahead of him and make his environment safe for him.  It's an exhausting way to parent, but necessary right now.

While I spent a couple of hours getting his room ready for the dreaded first night, he played with some toys in the floor and seemed to not be bothered by the changes.  I removed toys & books within reach, tied down baskets to prevent climbing up the bookshelf, made sure all plugs were covered & blind cords were up out of reach, and put knob covers on closet & bedroom doors.

Within 5 minutes of leaving him in his room the first night, I was able to add tape down light switches to the list.  By the second and third day, I had to take out his rocking chair & turn his dresser around backwards to keep him from using the drawers as stairs.  As of tonight, curtains are being removed and we are exploring our options on what to do with his blinds to discourage him from swinging from them (which is currently what he is using them for).

So far, it takes him about 2 hours to fall asleep at night and nap times are hit and miss. Usually a miss :(  Which is why our evenings usually end up looking like this...
After we put him to bed, he spends his time running around the room like a crazy person, jumping on the mattress like it's a trampoline, standing on his head, and he usually takes the sheets off the bed at least once.  I guess I shouldn't bother making it back because he has yet to sleep on the bed.

We pick him up off the floor and put him on his mattress before we go to bed, but within an hour he's back on the floor.
I know all of this has to be confusing to him and I hate that for him.  The first couple of days I think he liked his new found freedom, but I don't think it's the case anymore.  I started making picture cards last week to see if it would help him understand a little better.  It hasn't helped yet, but we are committed to finding a way to get through to Miles.  After all, our next big transition will be potty training.  Lord help us!  Try explaining that to someone who can't express himself and can't understand simple instructions.

2 comments :

  1. bless his heart (and yours) that video is too cute. Looks like he might fall asleep sitting up in the cart! I'll be praying that night time will be restful for you and him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your hearts! You are such great parents! He is such a sweet boy! It can only get better..

    God Bless,
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete