Thursday, June 16, 2011

ONE MAN'S TRASH...

I've been in the market for a headboard for our bed for a while now, but I just can't seem to find something that I love - in my price range. I was looking for something that looks kind of old. A brand new bed would look out of place because there are several pieces of furniture in the room that look kind of rustic.

Pieces like this...


This is my FAVORITE piece of furniture in our house.

We picked it up in Roanoke, Texas six years ago from a little shop that was going out of business. It's about nine feet long, made out of old barn wood and complete with a glass top. It was one of those 'right place at the right time' moments because we ended up getting it for a hundred dollars! I've been offered a couple of thousand dollars for it, more than once, but I'll never sell it. I'm not a real sentimental person, but this piece has a story and it's very special to me. Keith says everything is for sell for the right price, but even he knows that does not apply here.

Another treasure that we have that Keith found for me about eight years ago is an old screen door. He found it on the side of the road in Albany, Georgia and it survived our moves to Texas, Florida, and Arkansas. The movers always gave us funny looks when they loaded and unloaded it. I think they thought we took it off the house.

When we moved to Arkansas, the door never found a home.
Until yesterday.

I had to get something out of the attic yesterday and saw my screen door in the back corner. I had forgotten all about it, but when I saw it, I immediately thought...

...HEADBOARD!

So I drug it down and had Keith help me hang it on the wall.
I went ahead and made a banner to hang on the door out of the leftover burlap I had from Miles' birthday party.


I LOVE how it turned out!
(And I love the fact that it cost me nothing!)

3 comments :

  1. and now i would like for you to come over and decorate my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a CLEVER idea!!! LOVE IT...
    You have very handsome sons!!!!

    Love,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS !!!! I want to do this in my bedroom now!!!! Can I steal your idea? So cute! Just come and decorate my house, please!!

    ReplyDelete