Sunday, May 1, 2011

PRAYER BOX

A couple of years ago, I started helping Alex with his personal time with God.

I knew he needed to learn to do it on his own, just him and the Lord, but I struggled with feeling like he was too young.  I liked spending that time with him and the thought of stepping back and letting him do it on his own meant that he was growing up.

But, I want his faith to be his own.
I want him to know what he believes and why he believes it.
And I want him to know, first hand, that God's Word speaks to every area of his life.

So, I started looking for a devotion book that would guide Alex through God's Word, not act as a substitute for it. I wanted something that would not only walk him through scripture, but help him learn to apply it to his everyday life. There are so many great resources out there, that I didn't have any trouble finding something.

After we found a way to help him read his Bible, I started looking for a way to help Alex organize his prayer time.

To simplify it.
To help him stay focused.
To help him keep up with who he was praying for, what he was praying about, and when God answers those prayers.

There are not a lot of resources on practical ways to helping children learn to pray.
So we created our own system.

Several years ago, a good friend showed me the way she was taught to memorize scripture, and we discovered that it could be used for prayer also.

I absolutely loved how the system turned out, so I ended up, not only making a box for Alex, but making a box for myself also and I use it every single day.


Here is my Prayer Box...



Everything and everyone I am praying for gets their own blank index card and that index card gets filed in one of these three sections...

DAILY
I have several index cards behind my Daily tab... Keith, Alex, Miles, then friends and family who have somewhat urgent prayer requests, each have their own card. And on that card, I write out the things I am praying for along with the date.

WEEKLY
My weekly tabs have very specific things that I want to make sure I pray for at least once a week.

Monday {Local Schools}
Tuesday {Local Church}
Wednesday {Relatives}
Thursday {Friends}
Friday {United States of America}
Saturday {Lost and Unchurched}
Sunday {Missionaries and World Missions}

MONTHLY
The last section has 31 numbered tabs. One for everyday of the month.

This is where most of my index cards are filed. I have made cards for my family members, friends, staff wives and their families, ministry friends all around the country and their families, the 5th graders at Alex's school and their families, the families in our adoption group, etc... I think you get the idea.

Each of those cards are placed randomly behind a number.

This is how it works...

Let's say that it is Tuesday, April 5th.

First, I start by taking out the index cards behind my Daily tab and pray through those.

Then, I would go to my Tuesday tab, which is the day I pray specifically for our Church, and pull out the cards behind that tab and pray through those cards.

Lastly, if it's the 5th of the month, I would jump to the number 5 tab and pray through those cards.

I love how easy and organized it is.
I also love that it keeps the answered prayers in front of me.

When we lived in Florida, a staff member found out he had cancer. So, I found the index card that had his family on it, wrote down the date and the prayer request, and moved it behind my daily tab so I could pray for him everyday. After he went through treatment and finally got word that he was cancer free, I wrote the date that God answered the prayer and moved his index card back into the monthly section. Now, when I pray for his family, I can also see how God has been faithful to them and it reminds me to praise Him and thank Him for that.

I realize that this might not work for everyone. I have a lot of friends who keep prayer journals, but since I can't read my own handwriting, journaling never worked for me.

You could easily use a smaller box, but we decided to combine our Prayer Box and our Scripture Memory Box together. It also gives us space to keep extra index cards, pencils, and pens.

What are some ways you encourage Spiritual Habits in your children?
What are some resources that you think we should know about?

3 comments :

  1. Your children are very blessed to have you as their mother!!! Helping to guide their hearts to abide in Christ Jesus!! And being intentional about making Jesus their personal friend and Lord of their life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to see you & your family today!

    This prayer box is such a great idea. Where did you find those index card boxes? I have started incorporating Bible study and character building in Hendrix's preschool that I'm doing with him. He has really enjoyed learning & applying the scriptures to what he is learning that day. I love this prayer box idea - it will be great for both of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just finding this blog, but I'm very impressed with it. I was just wondering how you incorporate the Scripture into your boxes? What Scripture do you go about memorizing, etc.? I looked for your Email, but never came across it. Please Email your response to cayman.richardson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete