Monday, January 18, 2010


The CIS issue we have been dealing with everyday the last 3 weeks has finally been resolved.

But not without a fight and not without a lot of prayers.

It has been a LONG 3 weeks.
There were mornings I would wake up feeling like I don't have any fight left in me. I was just so tired of fighting.

But then I would think about what I was fighting for.
Who I was fighting for.

If I don't fight for Miles, who will?

Here's what happen...
Our case was assigned to an officer who no longer works at the USCIS office. Her case load was split up and re-assigned to the remaining officers. Our case was assigned to the officer who just started. The new girl. She has been training the last several months which is why our case wasn't looked at. When we started looking into the status of our case, she started processing it. She came back so many times with requests for different paperwork, updates on other paperwork, then requested an interview. On several different occasions, I asked her if she understood what we were needing. I let her know our I-600a doesn't expire until July 2010 and we weren't trying to get an extension, we just needed our I-171h amended with our new address. She said the process is the same for both.

We went for our interview on Friday.
The officer called in sick so we had to meet with the director of our CIS field office.

What an answer to prayer!

During our interview, we answered all kinds of questions about our moves, our finances, then he told us he would get with the officer next week and give her all the information so she can finish processing our case.

Keith told him we needed our letter.
We went back and forth and explained to him what steps we have taken the last 4 months to get our I-171h amended. We even pulled out our files to show him what we have done, and our correspondence with the officer in charge of our case. Then it clicked. We could see it on his face that he understood and knew they messed up. He confirmed our suspicions and told us he was under the impression that we were applying for an extension.

Being new, she got it wrong.
The process isn't the same for both.

He closed our file and told us to come back in an hour to pick up our approval letter.

That was it! We got it!
We walked out of the USCIS office with our new I-171h in hand.

We give God all the Glory for answering our prayers, for giving us favor with the CIS office, and for giving us the energy to keep fighting.

So, we get to keep our Embassy appointment on February 18th.
It won't be long now!

Thursday, January 7, 2010


When do you travel?

Traveling is the last step in our adoption.
We did all the paperwork, were put on the waitlist, received our referral, passed court, now we are at the last step and we aren't sure when we get to take it.

You know that letter?
That letter we impatiently waited for because it allowed us to be officially waitlisted?
The I-171h.

Well, we are still impatiently waiting for it. For the third time.

Let me catch you up.

Remember this?
When we had to move because the home we were renting was being sold.
Well, we didn't talk about it much, but anyone in the middle of an adoption knows that moving means more paperwork.

Because we moved into a new home, we had to update our homestudy, send it to our local USCIS office, and wait (again) for the new approval letter. We received our new letter, with our new address on it in about a month. Not bad. Much better that the four months it took the first time.

Well, then this happened.
But this time, we weren't just moving down the street, we were moving to a new state.

So, we emailed our new CIS office and let them know what was going on.
We moved across the country, bought a home, updated our homestudy and submitted all of our new and old paperwork to our new USCIS office.

And that's where our stuff has been the last 3 months. Sitting on a desk.

The email that I sent them in August to let them know we were moving there was never replied to. My plea to let me know if there was anything else they needed was not answered.

I followed up with them last month to check on the status of our case, and two weeks later, they let me know that they don't have everything they need to amend my I-171h.

Our local CIS office has requested information from us everyday this last week. And just when we check everything off their crazy insane list, they add something else to it.

We have been doing paperwork for this adoption for the last 16 months.

We are so ready to go get our boy! So ready!

So, when do we travel?
We aren't traveling on our first travel dates of February 1-8.
We were bumped.

Our new 'tentative' travel dates are February 15-22.

We are praying for favor with our local CIS office. Praying all the documents they've requested come in quickly from the other states. Praying they get it all processed in a timely manner. Praying that we get to travel soon to be united with the little boy that God choose for our family. And praying that Jesus will shine in all that we say and do.